Now that summer is finally here, it is time to ditch the heavy high coverage foundations for something that is not only light on the skin but also provides sun protection. Say hello to BB creams! A BB cream (beauty balm or blemish balm) is like a sheer and lightweight liquid foundation with added skin benefits. A BB cream not only offers a natural skin-like coverage but also hydrates the skin and shields it from the sun. BB creams first gained popularity in Korea but quickly made its way to people’s makeup routines all around the world.
Here is a simple step-by-step guide for you to create your own BB cream that matches your exact skin shade. All you need are a few products that are already a part of your makeup and skincare routine.
1. Start with your favourite light or medium coverage liquid foundation. We recommend trying the Maybelline Fit Me Matte+Poreless Foundation since it is a dermatologically and allergy-tested formula that is non-comedogenic. Available in 18 shades that are made to fit diverse Indian skin tones, the Fit Me foundation offers a shade match for everybody. Take a couple of drops of the liquid foundation in a clean container, or you can also mix it on the back of your palm if you plan on using your BB cream right away.
2. If you want your BB cream to have slightly more coverage, you can also choose a high coverage foundation like the Superstay Full Coverage Foundation by Maybelline.
3. Sunscreen should be a part of your skincare routine all through the year, but sunscreens are especially indispensable during the summer months. Choose a sunscreen that has an SPF of 30 or higher to protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun. Look for an oil-free formula that will prevent your DIY BB cream from looking greasy on the skin. Mix this sunscreen with your liquid foundation.
4. Next, you need to add a moisturiser that is suited to your skin type in this mixture. A moisturiser will hydrate and nourish your skin. If your moisturiser has an SPF in it, you can skip the sunscreen from the previous step.
5. Adjust the quantity of the ingredients until you achieve your desired consistency and level of coverage.
6. Mix the liquid foundation, sunscreen, and/or moisturiser together and voila! Your BB cream is ready.
Bonus tip – You can also add a drop of liquid highlight to this BB cream to add a natural glow-from-within look to your skin.
Are you confused on how to pick the perfect foundation shade for your skin tone? Check out Complete Foundation Makeup Guide For Beginners