Pores are not your enemy; they help produce sebum and keep your skin moisturized. But sometimes, large open pores can lead to an excessively oily skin and clogged pores that then give rise to a host of skin problems like acne, blackheads, breakouts, etc. Pore primers are great for filling in large pores and blurring skin imperfections. Pore minimizing primers, like the name suggests, minimize the appearance of visible pores and smoothen irregular skin texture so your face makeup can glide on like a dream. For example, the Maybelline Fit Me Primer, available for different skin types, diminishes the look of pores and smoothens the skin while making your makeup last all day.
Here is how to correctly apply a pore filling primer so you can get a flawless base makeup that looks airbrushed!
1. Regardless of your skin type or the type of pore primer you use, you have to apply it after your skincare and before your makeup. So, prep you skin with your regular serums and moisturizers and wait for a couple of minutes for the products to be completely absorbed into the skin before going in with your pore minimizing primer.
2. While some people apply pore filling primers with brushes or makeup sponges, we recommend applying the primer with your fingertips to get an even application and avoid wasting the product.
3. To start, squeeze out a small pea sized amount of the primer for open pores and dot it all over your face, focusing on the parts that have large visible pores. For most people, this tends to be the nose and the area around it, so start by adding the primer for large pores to these spots first.
4. Instead of rubbing or massaging the pore minimizing primer into your skin like you would with a moisturizer, gently push it into the skin using small patting motions. This will ensure that the pore filling primer actually fills the open pores instead of just creating a light layer over them.
5. Start by applying a thin layer of the pore primer and add more if needed.
7. On days when you do not want to add foundation to your skin but still need some coverage, use a concealer that matches your skin tone and undertone exactly and use it to spot conceal blemishes and spots after you have applied the pore filling primer. You can also mix the pore minimizing primer and concealer together to make blending easier. To find the perfect shade match, use the Foundation Finder tool by Maybelline and get results in just 2 simple steps and then test the concealer shade with the Maybelline Virtual Try On tool.
Look for pore filling primers that coat your skin in a light layer without making your face feel heavy, sticky, or greasy. The Maybelline FaceStudio Master Primer Makeup is one such weightless primer for open pores that refines your skin and makes your makeup last all day. Formulated with water-soluble base and active ingredients, this pore minimizing primer preps the skin for makeup application and visually blurs away skin concerns like large open pores. This pore primer can also be worn without foundation and concealer to add a luminous effect to the skin, making it one of best primer for pores for your no-makeup makeup days.
You might have the best primer for oily skin and large pores, but if you do not apply the product in the right way, you will not be able to reap all its benefits. Taking just a few minutes to correctly apply a pore primer before your face makeup helps prep the skin and improves the wear and look of your makeup products.
Now that you know how to prep your skin with a pore minimizing primer for an even base, here is how you can use other primer makeup types to get a long lasting lip makeup and a vibrant eye makeup look!