From chart topping music to trending skincare regimes, South Korea seems to have it all. And if there is one thing we could borrow from them for the rest of our lives; it would be their flawless glass skin. The Korean glass skin trend created a buzz in the skincare and beauty world – and if this is the first time you are hearing about it, you are in for a treat. While you can’t get a flawless complexion overnight, here is how you can achieve the glass skin look with makeup.
Characterized by crystal-clear, smooth, and dewy skin that looks like porcelain, glass skin has a luminous and reflective finish that resembles glass. First popularized in Korea, glass skin has a natural radiant glow from within that is achieved by following healthy lifestyle habits and adopting a rigorous multi-step skincare routine.
How to get glass skin with makeup?
Don’t have time to try a 10-step skincare routine? Well guess what, you don’t have to. Here is a step by step guide to achieve the glass skin look with the products in your makeup bag.
1. The key to achieving a glowy Korean glass skin look is to make sure your skin is intensely hydrated before you even begin your makeup. So, start by applying a hydrating sheet mask to give your skin an intense boost of moisture that leaves your skin looking soft, supple, and plump. Moisturize your skin with a rich face cream to amp up the hydration. Your skin is now ready for some face makeup.
2. Prime your skin with a dewy primer to blur your pores, fill in fine lines, prep your skin, and add an extra layer of hydration. The new Maybelline Fit Me Dewy + Smooth Primer moisturizes and smoothens the skin to give you a long-lasting dewy look.
3. Next pick a lightweight foundation that gives your skin a natural-looking radiant finish. If you only have a matte foundation at hand, mix it with a few drops of liquid highlighter to transform it to a dewy foundation. Remember, less is more in the glass skin trend, so use only a small amount of the foundation with a makeup sponge to add a light, seamless coverage to your skin and enhance your complexion.
4. Use a brightening concealer to conceal your dark circles and illuminate the high points of your face. Answer a few questions on the Maybelline Foundation Finder tool to understand your shade match and then look for a concealer that is a shade or two lighter for the brightening effect.
5. Unless you have extremely oily skin that looks like a shiny disco ball by the end of the day, avoid mattifying your face with powder. If you do have greasy skin, use the tiniest amount of loose powder to set only the parts of your face that tend to get oily, like your T-zone. Keep the powder away from your cheeks!
6. To finish off the glass skin look, use a highlighter stick to add some extra glow to your already glowing complexion. Highlight the top of your cheekbones, bridge of your nose, Cupid’s Bow, and your forehead for the ultimate sheen.
7. To complete the rest of your makeup, bring some colour to your cheeks by applying just a touch of cream blush to the apples of your cheeks. No cream blush, no problem, use a shimmering blush or mix in some highlighter with your blush colour to add the extra shine. Your creamy lipstick can also double up as a natural looking blush for the glass skin look. To make sure your blush shade adds a natural looking flush to your skin, find a colour that flatters your complexion by using the Maybelline Virtual Try On tool.
8. Keep your eye makeup soft and simple to complement the Korean glass skin look. Add a light wash of a peach or pink eyeshadow to the top of your lids. And here’s the best part, you can go straight in with your fingers, you don’t need to be precise here! Apply the same colour to the lower lash line for some extra oomph. If you are taking the glass skin trend seriously, here is a little trick for you - use some of your liquid highlighter on the eyelids to get the look of glossy eyelids. Skip the eyeliner and kajal and finish off your eye makeup with a few swipes of your favourite lengthening mascara to get soft and fluttery lashes.
9. Natural brows are the way to go when recreating this look. Use an eyebrow pencil to lightly fill in any sparse areas and avoid creating sharp and well-defined Instagram brows.
10. Since you are creating the Korean glass skin look, it is only fair to try the Korean gradient lips trend as well. To get the gradient effect, coat your lips with a generous layer of lip balm and then apply a pink or red lipstick to just the inner centre of your lips. Blend the colour outwards to give your lip makeup a blurred and gradient look.
11. Set everything in place with a makeup setting spray and you are ready to rock the glass skin trend.
If you want to go the extra mile, add some powder highlighter to your cheekbones and the bridge of your nose while your face is still damp. The powder will melt into your skin and give you a blinding highlight – Voila! The perfect radiant glass skin.