Unlike eye makeup styles and face makeup application techniques, lip makeup trends don’t often get the recognition they deserve. Even though lip makeup might not have as much variety as the eyes and face, you can still play up your pout in fun ways. Here is how you can try the ombre lips and the gradient lips trends to switch up the look of your lipstick.
Just like the hair and nail makeup styles, the Korean ombre lips makeup is when you blend two (or more if you are feeling adventurous!) lipstick colours to create a seamless transition from one shade to another. From choosing colours from the same family to using completely contrasting hues, you can go crazy or play it safe with the ombre lipstick trend. Don’t know how? Let us show you.
Here are 2 ombre lipstick combinations you can try today -
• Everyday ombre lips
1. If this is your first time experimenting with this look, we recommend using creamy lipsticks that are soft and easy to blend.
2. Start by applying a dark red or maroon lipstick to the outer corner of your top and bottom lip. Apply it just to the corners or bring it 1/3rd of the way in, on all 4 sides.
3. Next, use a red lipstick and apply it to the centre of your lips. Blend the colours in together with your finger or a lip brush and you are all done.
4. Our recommendations –
b. Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipstick – Cosmopolitan Red
• Dramatic ombre lips
1. To get bold ombre lips that are sure to turn heads wherever you go, try a vertical transition.
2. Apply a dark brown lipstick to your entire top lip and just a tiny amount to the top of your bottom lip.
3. Next, add a light brown or nude lipstick to the rest of your bottom lip and blend the 2 colours together till there are no harsh lines and your vertical ombre lipstick style is ready to rock the party
4. Our recommendations –
a. Maybelline Superstay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick Coffee Collection – Mocha Inventor
Gradient lips are a type of ombre lipstick style that were first popularized by the leading ladies of K-Pop and K-Dramas. Korean gradient lips are much easier to create, so if you are beginner, this is the style for you.
Here is how you can try the gradient lipstick style with just one colour –
1. Start by applying a light layer of concealer or foundation to the outer edges of your lips. Use the Maybelline Foundation Finder to find a face makeup shade that will seamlessly blend into your skin. This step is crucial if you want to get a flawless gradient on your lips.
2. The Korean gradient lips give you the my lips but better look, so use a creamy red or pink lipstick shade that enhances the natural colour of your lips. You can use the Maybelline Virtual Try On tool to test out different lipstick shades and find the one that suits you best. The Virtual Try On tool allows you to experiment with all the Maybelline lips, face, and eye makeup products so you can give yourself a virtual makeover at home!
3. Apply the lipstick to just the centre of your top and bottom lips and blend it outwards into the foundation or concealer.
4. Add some lip balm to your lips to keep your lips hydrated and add a glossy shine – and there you have it, an easy gradient lipstick look.
5. Our recommendations –
If these two lipstick styles have piqued your interest and you are ready to level up your lip makeup game, here are some weird yet fun lipstick trends for you to try next!