Most people stereotype Indian bridal makeup as loud and flashy. While some people opt for this look and pull it off beautifully, there has been a shift in bridal makeup choices. Brides now prefer more subdued makeup looks and balance it out with OTT outfits and jewellery. However, this shift to lighter makeup is majorly inspired by Sikh or Punjabi bride makeup. The style quotient is quite high during a Punjabi wedding and is a source of inspiration to brides across different cultures.
Most Sikhs or Punjabis choose to have a Gurudwara wedding and brides opt for pastel tones for their outfits. This creates a beautiful contrast with their chooda! It also helps them create a beautiful muted Punjabi bridal makeup look! If you’re a bride to be and want to ace that Punjabi bridal makeup look for your Gurudwara wedding, you’ve come to the right place! Let’s break down the perfect Punjabi bride makeup look for you to recreate during your Gurudwara wedding.
1. Face makeup
Acing your base makeup is crucial for every bridal look. However, for Punjabi wedding makeup, it is extremely important to nail it.
• For your face makeup, start by prepping your skin well. Heavily moisturize your skin and let it settle in your skin for a few minutes.
• For the next step of your Punjabi bride makeup, use a stick highlighter and apply it to the high points of your face. This will help you achieve a glow from within look.
• Dot your foundation and concealer lightly across your face and blend thoroughly. Make sure you choose the perfect shade of foundation and concealer for your Gurudwara wedding, as it will hugely contribute to your makeup looking natural. You can use the Maybelline Foundation Finder tool, which is a mobile-only tool that scans your face and gives you perfect shade match recommendations for your skin tone and undertone.
• To add definition to your face, use your contour stick Use very little product for that natural, but snatched Punjabi bridal makeup look.
• To wrap up your Punjabi wedding makeup for the face, use a setting spray to seal your makeup in place.
2. Eye makeup
Doing your eye makeup well is very important for your Punjabi bridal makeup look. Brides usually wear a maang teeka and also cover their heads with a dupatta. This draws a lot of attention to your eyes. Keeping your eye makeup light and natural accentuates your entire look. For your eye makeup:
• Start by applying your primer to your lids. This will help your eye makeup stay in place all day.
• After a couple of minutes, start by applying some matte dark brown eyeshadow to your crease. Blend this colour into your crease.
• Once you are happy with the blend of eyeshadow on your crease, apply a lighter shade of matte brown across your lid.
• Deepen the outer corner of your eyelid with the same shade of dark brown eyeshadow as your crease.
• Blend it all well so no harsh lines are visible.
• Now to add some sparkle to your Punjabi bridal makeup look, use a dull gold or champagne shade to the centre of your lids. This will create a beautiful halo look!
• After you are satisfied with your eyeshadow look, use some kajal to lightly line your waterline to add some definition to your eyes.
• With your favourite eyeliner, draw a simple line across your lid. Avoid doing a winged liner as it can be a bit much for this look.
3. Lip makeup
The simpler the lip makeup, the better for a Gurudwara wedding. This helps tie the whole look together and adds some definition to your pout. You can ace it in just three simple steps:
• Start by prepping your lips with some lip balm. This will ensure you have hydrated and nourished lips throughout the day.
• Line your lips with a nude liner and fill your lips with a liquid lipstick of your choice. You can opt for a pink nude for that subtle Punjabi bridal makeup look. However, if you want a pop of colour you can opt for a shade of bright pink.
• Top your liquid lipstick with a coordinating shade of creamy lipstick. This will give your lips a poutier look.
If you have trouble choosing the right products for your Punjabi wedding makeup, these tools by Maybelline New York are going to make your life so much simpler!
• The Maybelline Lipstick Finder tool is a tool that helps you choose your perfect lipstick shade based on your mood.
• With the Maybelline Virtual Try On tool, you can virtually try different products and pick the ones you like the best!
• With just a few clicks the Maybelline Fit Me Finder tool matches you to shade options for foundation, concealer and powder that fit you perfectly.
A lighter and subdued makeup look for your Gurudwara wedding is a match made in heaven! The bride usually opts for a heavier and more glam makeup look for her reception event!