Have you ever scrolled through Instagram and wondered to yourself why the stunning eye makeup you see in the pictures do not look the same on you? If you just bought yourself a new eyeshadow palette and are disappointed with how dull the colours look on you, don’t give up just yet. Here are 8 simple and quick tips to make any eyeshadow pop!
1. Prime your eyelids – If you always prime your face before you put on your foundation, why are you not treating your eyes the same way? Use an eyeshadow primer to create a smooth and even base for your eyeshadow. Not only will the primer make your colours pop, but it will also help your eyeshadow stay put for longer. Concealers also make great eye primers and are perfect to use as an eyeshadow base.
2. Set your primer with white eyeshadow – An eyeshadow base makes your eyeshadow colours appear more vibrant, and what better colour than white to make the eyeshadows look brighter! Use a white eyeshadow or a white eye pencil to set your eye primer and colour your entire eyelid. You can also go over the white eye pencil with the lightest matte beige shade from the Maybelline Blushed Nudes Eyeshadow Palette if you do not have a white eyeshadow.
3. Use black kajal as an eyeshadow base – When applying dark and sultry eyeshadow colours, smudge a black kajal on your entire eyelid to intensify the look. A black eyeshadow base works wonders under colours like green, blue, red, and bronze.
4. Work in layers – You probably already know this but working adding multiple layers of your eyeshadow is a great way to pack a punch! Once you have applied your eyeshadow primer and base, apply at least two layers of your eyeshadow colours to instantly make them pop.
5. Know your tools – Not all eyeshadow brushes work the same. While some brushes are great for blending and diffusing the eyeshadow colours, others help deposit pigmented colour on your lids. Some brushes are meant to be used with cream and glittery eyeshadows while some work wonders with powders. Using the right brush for the right formula and technique is essential if you want to get the most out of your eyeshadow.
6. Ditch the brush – When working with shimmery or glittery eyeshadows like the sparkling shades from the Maybelline 24K Nudes Eyeshadow Palette, apply the colours with your fingers to get the most pigmentation. While using your fingers does not give you the precision that a brush would, it helps increase the concentration of the colour. Coat your ring finger with your desired shade and gently dab it on the part of your lid where you want most of the colour. You can then go in with a fluffy blending brush and blend around the edges. Go in once again in just the centre of the colour to increase its opacity and vibrancy.
7. Use a setting spray – Wetting your brush with a setting spray is another great eyeshadow hack that most makeup artists use to intensify the eyeshadow colour. Spray your eyeshadow brush with a setting spray and pick up the eyeshadow colour with the damp brush and pat it all over your eyelid. Remember to not wet your brush too much as this will dilute the eyeshadow colour instead.
8. Don’t forget the rest of your eye contours – Your waterline, brow bone, and under-eyes also play a huge role in how vibrant your eyeshadow looks. Use a white or peach kajal on your waterline to make the eyes appear bigger and brighter (or black if you are going for a darker eye look), clean up your eyebrows with a concealer and highlight the arch with a soft and subtle highlighter, and conceal your undereye circles to brighten the whole eye contour area. You can use a brightening concealer that’s one or two shades lighter than your exact match to get rid of discolouration and highlight the undereye area. To find the perfect brightening concealer for your skin tone, first find your exact shade match using the Maybelline Foundation Finder tool and then select a concealer that is a shade or two lighter. Test out the concealer shade in real time on the Maybelline Virtual Try On tool. The Virtual Try On tool allows you to try all Maybelline eye makeup, face makeup, and lip makeup products with zero commitment and from the comfort of your own home.
From using an eyeshadow primer to ditching the eyeshadow brush, these 8 tips will help you get vibrant colours on your eyelids every time. And if you are a makeup beginner, check out the Step By Step Eyeshadow Guide For Beginners and learn how to put these tips to the test in the right way!