The world of beauty products is obsessed with lipsticks. They are available in 100s of shades and several finishes. Every person who is a beauty aficionado surely owns multiple lipsticks and understands the difference between the shades of pinks and nudes. However, sometimes this sheer variety can get overwhelming. And this endless list of options can eventually make it difficult for you to choose the right shade of lipstick. The best way to pick your perfect lipstick is by gauging lipstick undertones. If you are unaware of the lipstick undertones and want to learn more about this concept? You’ve come to the right place, keep on reading to find out.
What are lipstick undertones?
Lipstick undertones are similar to body undertones. If a lipstick has an undertone of orange, peach, golden or red they fall under the category of warm toned lipsticks. The colour leans towards the warmer section of the colour wheel.
A cool toned lipstick leans towards the other side of the colour wheel and has tones of blue, light green, purple and pink. If you are a makeup novice, it can be tricky to tell if a shade is warm toned or cool toned lipstick.
A great way to determine this is by swatching it at the back of your hand. Once you swatch a lipstick on your hand, if it is a very poppy shade it is more likely to have yellow or warm undertones. Cool-toned lipsticks are formulated using blue pigment, which is usually muted. Another trick is to place your lipstick swatch next to a bright blue object. If the lipstick colour complements the blue colour, it has a cooler tone. Whereas warm undertone lipstick shades will seem too stark when compared to a blue object. This is because these colours are on the opposite sides of the colour wheel and create a contrast.
Now that we have determined how you can determine lipstick undertones, it is time to move on and understand which undertone of lipstick will suit your skin the best.
Lipsticks with warm undertones
As we have established, warm undertone lipsticks have yellow, peach or red undertones to them. If you have green looking veins and tan easily, your skin has a warm undertone too. People with warmer skin should opt for warm undertone lipstick shades, as they complement their skin tone. This helps balance out your appearance as cool toned lipsticks tend to wash out people with warmer skin. Opt for brighter reds, pinks and coral shades as they will best suit your skin. Similarly, for nude and dark lip shades, pick colours that have warm tones.
Our recommendations for warm toned lipsticks:
• Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte - Rich Ruby, Bold Crimson, Dried Rose
• Maybelline Superstay Matte Ink Crayon - Treat Yourself, Laugh Louder, Own Your Empire
• Maybelline Superstay Matte Liquid Lipstick - Dauntless, Ruler, Self Starter
Lipsticks with cool undertones
If you have blue-ish veins or sunburn before you tan, you have cool -toned skin. Blue undertone lipsticks are the best shades for you as they brighten your appearance. Cool -toned lipsticks also have hints of purple and pink in them, making them flattering for people with cool- toned skin. A red lipstick with blue undertones should be a staple for your vanity as it flatters your skin while making your teeth look whiter.
Our recommendations for cool toned lipsticks are:
• Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte - Indipink Night, Moody Crimson, Rosy Peach
• Maybelline Superstay Matte Ink Crayon - Lead the way, Stay Exceptional, Settle For More
• Maybelline Superstay Matte Liquid Lipstick - Ringleader, Pioneer, Seductress
The concept of lipstick undertones is based on the colour wheel theory and is a great way to determine which shade will ideally suit you the best. However, if you like something that doesn’t play by these rules, there is no harm. In the end, makeup is all about having fun, right?
Here are a few tools from Maybelline New York that will help you choose your makeup products better:
• The Maybelline Foundation Finder tool helps you shade match yourself from the comfort of your home. You can virtually pick the perfect shade of foundation, concealer and powder and find a shade that fits you right.
• With the Maybelline Virtual Try On tool, you can try different makeup products virtually. You can create different looks and choose products that you love.
• The Maybelline Lipstick Finder tool helps you virtually check out various lipstick shades and buy the ones you like best.